Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Being an Author is being a Small Business Owner?

First off some defintions:
Writer: unpublished in serious terms. Not making a dime, just getting your stuff out there.
Author: You made at least $.01 from something you wrote that you can say was deposited into your bank account.
I am now an author.
Officially.
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Start Blog:
Now that I am a published writer, making money I've had some comments by people that I can be an ass about constantly promoting the book.
My response:
1. Why haven't you bought the book of someone you know? How many people do you know is a published author? Just buy it, don't care if you don't read it. Treat it like the 5lbs of lemons you bought...you may read a few pages but the 2.99 you spend is less of a throw-away then the lemons. Not to mention its cheaper than a gallon of gas and will take you on a further trip!

2. How is me shoving my wares down your throat any different than a small business trying to advertise their business in all the free formats that they can find?!

3. Being an AUTHOR is like being a reality star nowadays, sadly. I have to promote myself as much as the book. I have to know who I am as an artist as much as the pride I have for the current "episode" ... current book/work.

4. My next question to people that say they haven't bought it is why? They say they are traditionalist and only read books they can hold. Which I can honestly accept, sincerely. I don't like feeling a book myself. But my response is again: how many published AUTHORS do you PERSONALLY know?!

5. Many book publishers try to design their authors books so uniquely that they can't transfer to eBooks...take for example Pop-up books, those can't be read on a Kindle for obvious reasons, BUT...that doesn't mean an author can't be so ingenious that they can't write a book that is best read on as an eBook...which I infact am developing.

Writing, or authoring, isn't so different than opening a small business. Its success relies solely on you and the people you connect yourself with. Whether or not its social networking, word of mouth, agent(s) [I mean how many indie authors correspond with multiple authors?!]
We must sell the business through ourselves and if I have to sell myself for the bes/t-ter of the biz than so be it. It really makes me no different than big businesses, politicians and movie producers with their infamous "casting couch."

With that said does that mean indie authors are sluts or man-whores for their craft? No. But we will sell ourselves within whatever stringent moral and ethical code we have.

Nor am I opposed to begging people to buy a novel. Them telling me "no" is no different than them proposing a yes and leaving me at the altar without a sale [because I can in fact check my sales for the day through KDP and PubIt...] so dare I say: I'm an author, I'm not an idiot...

No comments:

Post a Comment